I made ricotta cheese for my Ricotta Cheese Meaty Pizza the other day and I was amazed at how easy this was. The only thing bad about this is that if you aren’t careful, cheese bits or milk can stick to the edges of the pan in which you’re cooking cheese. And they are very difficult to remove.
All you need:
- 4 cups whole milk (Not low fat and other varieties)
- Juice from one large lemon(or 2 tbsp white distilled vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tablespoon fresh cream(Optional)
- A bowl for straining out the liquid
- A cheese cloth/ muslin
How to go about it
- Whisk together milk and cream with a stand mixer. Or use the milk only.
- Add Salt and whisk
- Set these on a low heat in a pan.
- Add vinegar/ lemon
- Keep stirring.Prevent Cheese/milk from sticking to the edges of the pan.
- Pour the material in the pan into a cheese cloth.Tie it.
- Keep this on a straining bowl.
- Your Cheese will be ready in half an hour after liquid drains out. If you want firmer slabs of cheese, allow the cheese to stay in the cloth for 2 hours or even longer.
- Creamy Ricotta Cheese (lawyerinthekitchen.wordpress.com)
- Homemade Ricotta – It’s What Dreams are Made of (wildflowersandwine.wordpress.com)
- Ricotta…Paneer…Cottage……Oh my! (thestarvinggrocer.wordpress.com)
- How to Make Ricotta Cheese (at home!) (abeautifulmess.com)