Choux Pastry:( for 12 eclairs)
1/2 cup (65 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons (55 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup heavy cream
5 tbsp powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 oz dark chocolate(or milk chocolate)
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp confectioners sugar
Instructions Choux Pastry
- Place the butter and water in a saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat & with a wooden spoon, add the flour mixture, all at once, and stir until combined.
- Return saucepan to the heat and stir constantly until the dough comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a thick smooth ball
- Once the dough is lukewarm start adding the lightly beaten eggs (dough will separate and then come together) and continue to mix until you have a smooth thick paste
- Fill your piping bag with the paste. Cut off the tip of your bag. You don’t need a nozzle here.
- Place butter paper on your oven tray and pipe the eclairs 31/2 inch long and approx 2 inch far from each other
- In a preheated oven. 400 F/ 200C place the oven rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes. (When the top begins to get golden-brown)
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Make two holes on each side of each eclair.Use a small nozzle to pipe in the filling from one hole until the filling oozes out of the other one.
- Dip the eclair into the ganache.
Using an electrical mixer mix the vanilla, sugar and cream into a thick filling. Pour this into a piping bag fitted with a small circular nozzle.
Melt chocolate in a microwave (or on double boiler). Add butter to the warm melted chocolate. Lastly mix in the confectioners sugar using electrical mixer.