This was an instant success with my family, when I first made it. I made a ghee(clarified butter) based pie crust for this pie since my mom believes ghee to be healthier than butter. And it is an extremely easy dessert to prepare and consumes little time.
Pie Crust Ingredients
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup+ 1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter (you can substitute softened butter)
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp salt
Pie crust instructions
Add the ghee/butter to the flour. Add the cold water and salt. Knead it into a soft smooth dough. Spread it on your pie dish and set it to bake. Take it out when the crust begins to get golden brown.
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 cup milk
3 egg yolks- beaten
2 tbsp ghee/butter
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3+1 bananas sliced
1/3 cup cream(Optional)
Pie Filling Instructions
- Combine sugar, salt,flour and milk in a saucepan and put it on medium heat and stir gently until the mixture gets thick and bubbly.
- Add some of the hot mixture into egg yolks and whisk.
- Add the yolks into the milk mixture and stir . Cook this mixture for another 2 minutes.Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla into the mixture.
- Now put three sliced bananas into the base of the pie crust. Top this with the custard mixture. Set to bake for 15 minutes.
- To the pie with cream
- Put the last sliced banana on top of the pie.