Salad Sunday # 3
Delicious Warning : For the sake of presentation the ingredients have been ‘stacked orderly’ however the salad will taste best if you dump those yogurt cups over the salad and just mix everything up with a spoon.
What You Need
Falafel (Recipe here)
A mini french baguette sliced(I make whole grain healthy ones)
A few french fries
Yogurt whipped -Dressing
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salad Sunday #2
What You Need
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 potato in cubes( boiled)
- 1 large Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Chaat masala
- 1 tsp black cumin powder
- 1/2 cup Tamarind paste
- 2 or 3 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
How To Go About It
- Soak the dry chickpeas overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- Once they are soaked, drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker add the soaked chickpeas with enough water.
- Pressure cook for 6-7 minutes or until the chickpeas are tender.
- Once the pressure cooker cools down, drain the cooked chickpeas
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients including the chickpeas.
- Mix well.
- Taste and if required add more of the spices or salt.
Before serving just garnish with some coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
Salad Sunday #1
Healthier. Eating healthy. Healthy Living……. A huge list of these ‘healthy’ titles have taken over the internet. This healthy living is like a disease that people are catching. Even myself. Yes, Ayesha who basically runs away from most H words, except Hershey’s. But to be honest, these past few days I’ve been wondering if I should lead a healthier life style. That means REDUCING high calorie foods from my everyday life. Notice that I said reducing and not ERADICATING? Yep, I’m going to have high calorie stuff, but not too much. Just now and then. This is not about weight(okay, so maybe it’s about that one pound I’ve gained in the last week), it’s about health. It’s about…errr……feeling good. It’s about feeling happy. (Let’s be serious, I can’t be all those until I get chocolate). Anyway weight is important to me. I don’t want to look like a pear or a football in near future(Those who feel good looking like that please don’t feel offended.By all means eat what you like. It’s just me I’m talking about.Personal opinions, you see?) So this is a Betty Crocker recipe I’ve modified to suit my own taste. All I can say is that when it comes to salads, It’s one of the tastiest.
Prep Time:25 min
- 3 cups Farfalle (bow-tie) pasta(8 oz)
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas(12 oz bag)
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg boiled cut into cubes( Yolk discarded)
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup feta cheese grated (4 oz)
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on the package, adding frozen peas during the last 4 minutes of cooking time. Rinse with cool water and drain.
- In a salad bowl toss all ingredients together except olive oil. Drizzle olive oil after the salad is made.
Per serving: 310 calories
I will be posting one salad recipe every Sunday. I’ll have these salads in place of lunch, so they have to taste good. So yeah, will need to think a bit for that. Hopefully,I ‘ll remember to post Salad Sunday #2 next week.