Salad Sunday #2
What You Need
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 potato in cubes( boiled)
- 1 large Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Chaat masala
- 1 tsp black cumin powder
- 1/2 cup Tamarind paste
- 2 or 3 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
How To Go About It
- Soak the dry chickpeas overnight or for 8-9 hours.
- Once they are soaked, drain the water.
- In a pressure cooker add the soaked chickpeas with enough water.
- Pressure cook for 6-7 minutes or until the chickpeas are tender.
- Once the pressure cooker cools down, drain the cooked chickpeas
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients including the chickpeas.
- Mix well.
- Taste and if required add more of the spices or salt.
Before serving just garnish with some coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
Falafel is one of my very first memories of Saudi Arabia. And even now whenever I go there, I still have Falafel every other day. Sometimes on its on and on the other times in a Falafel Sandwich. The best part about it is the crunchy exterior and the comparatively soft interior( errr…….I’m not sounding like a foodie here. Rather like some interior designer describing a house). I’m fascinated by middle eastern recipes. And have learnt how to make hummus, falafel,babousa,mutabbaq etc, just by observing their kitchen counter action over many years. Anyway, just writing about is it bringing about nostalgia. I wish I could fly over there right now, in the middle of a very busy year.
Ingredients(For 15 falafel)
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas(After having soaked overnight)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
How to go about it
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process them. However, do not over process.
- Make balls (size as per desire) of the processed meal.
- Deep fry in a wok/pan till golden brown.(On Medium heat).
- Serve with whipped yogurt or mint-coriander chutney. Or in a Falafel Sandwich.