My love for cupcakes has just begun. I have a feeling that it is one of those eternal loves which poets constantly talk about.And I’m glad its a good kind of deep, nourishing love that tastes so sweet and smells so good.As Marie Williams Johnstone said and I quote “What Makes Life so Sweet? Cupcakes to eat and Someone to Love.” One more thing before we go ahead. I’ve noticed that there are quite a few people (like me) who do not like too much cream on their cupcakes. These cupcakes are God-sent for such people. The frosting on them tastes like coffee-ice cream. The chocolate chips make these cupcakes even more ice-creamish tasting 😀
For 12 Cupcakes You Need
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk (See How to make it)
- 1/4 cup brewed strong coffee cooled
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
For Frosting You Need
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp espresso powder
How to Go about Making Cupcakes
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Set cupcake paperliners into the mould.
- Mix espresso powder into the brewed coffee until it dissolves.
- Whisk well flour,cocoa powder,baking soda,baking powder and salt.
- Add egg,butter,buttermilk,vanilla extract and sugar in one bowl and whisk well until fluffy and light.Slowly add the flour mixture and coffee mixture alternatively.Keep beating with your electric beater.
- Pour mixture into the paper liners. Set to bake.
- Let cupcakes cool before applying the frosting.
How to make Frosting
Frosting is the best thing about these,like I mentioned. It has to be made very carefully:
- Use double boiling method to heat an egg. Keep stirring it. It will thicken. Do not let it solidify.
- Add powdered sugar, Stir more.
- Remove the egg mixture from the double boiler.
- Add butter in a bowl.Add the egg mixture, vanilla extract and espresso powder. With an electrical beater, whisk well.
- Add cream to the mixture and whisk lightly once for 10 seconds.
- Our frosting is not very stable. Its not meant to be.( If you want to stabilize it, use gelatin)
- Cupcake Mixology + basic vegan vanilla cupcakes (thepancakeprincess.com)
- Put love on the menu with these romantic Chocolate Cupcake and Chocolate Martini recipes (babescott.com)
- Chocolate Cupcake (faustinorach.wordpress.com)
- Tiramisu-inspired cupcakes (dienecakes.wordpress.com)
- Cupcake Recipe: Booty Call Cupcakes (babescott.com)
- Mocha Frosting (teenscancooktoo.wordpress.com)
- Water Cooler Cupcakes (twobiddies.wordpress.com)