I was recently introduced to Churros by a Mexican friend, who claimed that she could keep eating them and never get tired. Churros turned out to be fritters…. Mexican fritters which tasted ethereal when dunked in chocolate sauce. Turns out the friend was right. I kept eating them yesterday, especially since I’d made a generous quantity of the chocolate sauce to go with them.
Ingredients for Churros
1 cup water
3 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon,for topping
1/2 cup sugar, for topping
Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for Chocolate Sauce
1/2 cup cream
33 grams milk chocolate
3 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp powdered sugar
In saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and butter. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms thick paste. Cool it and fill it into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
In another saucepan, heat oil till it’s hot. Then pipe in churros. Keep turning till brown and crisp. Drain and place on paper towel.
For topping combine cinnamon and sugar. Roll the churros in this mixture.
Lastly, make sauce. First whip the cream till it’s thick. Add sugar, milk chocolate and cocoa powder to form thick sauce.
Dunk the cinnamon-ey morsel of deliciousness into the chocolatey goodness. Bon Apetit!
Tres Leches means “Three milks”. We make this flan from three milks, namely condensed milk, evaporated milk and regular milk. This flan is super perfect in every way from taste to texture. It’s better than the Spanish flan and the other kind of flans I’ve made in our kitchen. From now on it’s going to be my top go-to dessert recipe.
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- The zest of 1/2 orange
- A pinch of salt
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 oz / 354 ml)
- 1 can condensed milk (14 oz / 397 grams)
- 500 ml (a little more than 2 cups) of regular milk
- Caramel Ingredients: 1 cup of granulated white sugar
- Boiling water for baking the flan
Put all the ingredients for flan in a blender and blend
Remove the foam from the top of the blended flan ingredients
After this put sugar in a non stick pan to make caramel.
Initially the sugar will harden.Do not worry,eventually it will all melt
Caramel is now readyImmediately pour caramel into a bowl.
Otherwise it will continue to cook and will burn.
- First Pour caramel into the baking pan(Put in hot caramel otherwise it will harden as soon as it begins to cool)
- On top of this pour the flan
- Put this baking pan in a larger baking pan
- Put this in the preheated oven.
- AFTER putting the baking pan in oven, pour the boiling water in the larger pan till it goes half way up the smaller pan.
- Bake the flan for an hour or so. The flan will still be jiggly(Slide in a knife to see if it comes out clean)
- Refrigerate for 2 hours,before un-molding.
recipe adapted from cookingwithalia.com