“The greatest tragedies were written by the Greeks and Shakespeare…neither knew chocolate.” ― Sandra Boynton
When I was a kid mom used to make lovely vanilla custard cakes for me and my sisters,I loved them but I loved chocolate more. Then I grew up, and baking chocolate cakes became an obsession. Recently me ,my sisters and mother were having a “remember when…”, when the topic of her vanilla custard cakes came along. They all looked so wistful 😛 that I decided to bake them custard cakes but…chocolate ones. The rest is history. They loved this cake so much, and every one wanted to know the recipe. Even my mom admits that this is better than her vanilla custard cakes (And that for her is a big thing to admit 😛 )
Ingredients ( For 2 small or one Large cake):
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 eggs ( whites and yolks in separate bowls)
1/4 tsp vinegar
1 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
A pinch of baking powder
2 tbl spoons strongly brewed coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cherries for decorating
Chocolate ganache for icing
(For Chocolate ganache Put a large pan with water boiling in it. Put a smaller pan over the boiling water. In the smaller pan add a stick of unsalted butter. Add 6 ounces semi-sweet dark chocolate or Milk chocolate. Let the butter and chocolate melt. Stir regularly.Put this in a fridge to cool)
How to go about it:
- Preheat the oven. Butter and flour your baking dish.
- Melt butter and set aside. Heat the milk and set aside so it gets lukewarm.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together the flour,pinch of baking powder and cocoa powder -set this aside
- Whip the egg whites to form stiff peaks-set this aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until light.Beat in the melted butter,espresso,vinegar and vanilla extract for about 3 minutes.
- Mix flour/ cocoa into the batter.
- Whisk in the milk. Make sure all the ingredients get well-incorporated.
- Fold in the egg whites 1/3 at a time. Keep repeating until all eggs are folded in.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for around 50-60 min. The cake should be jiggly but firm( Not wet. To check this, slide a knife into the cake. If it comes out dry, your cake is done )
- Let your cake cool in the fridge for a while.
- Decorate it with chocolate ganache and cherries.
Have an amazing Baking Time.
Enjoy your cake and complements from friends & Family 😀