My love for cupcakes has just begun. I have a feeling that it is one of those eternal loves which poets constantly talk about.And I’m glad its a good kind of deep, nourishing love that tastes so sweet and smells so good.As Marie Williams Johnstone said and I quote “What Makes Life so Sweet? Cupcakes to eat and Someone to Love.” One more thing before we go ahead. I’ve noticed that there are quite a few people (like me) who do not like too much cream on their cupcakes. These cupcakes are God-sent for such people. The frosting on them tastes like coffee-ice cream. The chocolate chips make these cupcakes even more ice-creamish tasting 😀
For 12 Cupcakes You Need
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk (See How to make it)
- 1/4 cup brewed strong coffee cooled
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
For Frosting You Need
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp espresso powder
How to Go about Making Cupcakes
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Set cupcake paperliners into the mould.
- Mix espresso powder into the brewed coffee until it dissolves.
- Whisk well flour,cocoa powder,baking soda,baking powder and salt.
- Add egg,butter,buttermilk,vanilla extract and sugar in one bowl and whisk well until fluffy and light.Slowly add the flour mixture and coffee mixture alternatively.Keep beating with your electric beater.
- Pour mixture into the paper liners. Set to bake.
- Let cupcakes cool before applying the frosting.
How to make Frosting
Frosting is the best thing about these,like I mentioned. It has to be made very carefully:
- Use double boiling method to heat an egg. Keep stirring it. It will thicken. Do not let it solidify.
- Add powdered sugar, Stir more.
- Remove the egg mixture from the double boiler.
- Add butter in a bowl.Add the egg mixture, vanilla extract and espresso powder. With an electrical beater, whisk well.
- Add cream to the mixture and whisk lightly once for 10 seconds.
- Our frosting is not very stable. Its not meant to be.( If you want to stabilize it, use gelatin)
Apply your frosting the way you like. Chocolate chips and choco balls are amazing over the espresso frosting of these mocha cakes 😀
- Cupcake Mixology + basic vegan vanilla cupcakes (thepancakeprincess.com)
- Put love on the menu with these romantic Chocolate Cupcake and Chocolate Martini recipes (babescott.com)
- Chocolate Cupcake (faustinorach.wordpress.com)
- Tiramisu-inspired cupcakes (dienecakes.wordpress.com)
- Cupcake Recipe: Booty Call Cupcakes (babescott.com)
- Mocha Frosting (teenscancooktoo.wordpress.com)
- Water Cooler Cupcakes (twobiddies.wordpress.com)
8 thoughts on “Mocha Cupcakes”
I love the frosting and decor on these delish cupcakes 😀
Thankyou so much, I’m glad you like them 🙂
Pingback: Its Teacake Time!! | Miss Spicy Hat n' Sugar Socks
Pingback: Chocolate-Chocolate Cupcakes! | Miss Spicy Hat n' Sugar Socks
Pingback: Coffee Ice Cream Pie with Chocolate-Espresso Glaze | The Great American Feast
I love the chocoball decorations, yummy!
They enhanced the ‘incredibility’ of the mocha-taste 😛
I bet! They look delicious.